Sunday, January 25, 2009

25 things about me

I originally posted this up to my facebook profile, but thought it would worth sharing here as well:

1. I was born in North Carolina and lived there until I was 4. My earliest memories are our two dogs and the neighbor across the street and her rabbits. I also think I remember walking down our street and seeing dinosaurs attacking each other over the treeline, but that could be the LSD my mom slipped into the formula.

2. I only got straight A's one time in my life - 3rd quarter of my 1st grade year in Richmond Virginia. Scholastically it's been all down hill since then.

3. While we lived in Richmond, my father was the engineer for WLEE AM 1480. I used to visit him at the station all the time and developed my love of music and radio during this time

4. My best friend in Richmond was a boy named Daniel. Daniel was the first Jewish person I remember meeting. Together with another boy, Jason Putt (he had a welcome mat on his house that said Putt Putt for the fun of it) we built what was the worlds greatest tree house, with multiple points of entrance, 5 different rooms across 2 full levels. My parents informed me later in life that it should have been condemned.

5. The first movie I remember my dad taking me to was Empire Strikes Back. The theater was in the Richmond mall and I remember the line stretched through the mall, out the door, down the block and around the corner. We were in line for at least 3 showings before we got in.

6. The second movie I remember my dad taking me to was Blazing Saddles 10 year re-release, I have never laughed so hard in my life and it's still one of my favorite movies.

7. Until High School, I was never in the same school for more than 2 consecutive years.

8. I went to YMCA Camp Storer every year from grade 4 through 10, and then volunteered up at the camp for another two years.

9. I graduated from St. John's Jesuit in lovely Toledo, Ohio. While at SJJ, I was personally responsible for the immortal lines "Ketchup?" and "For I am Robert, the EXPENDABLE!"... ok, so they aren't really immortal but they still make me smile when I think about them.

10. I only went to one year of college, Ohio University in Athens, where I majored in screwing up, drinking Brainstompers from The Greenery, and Euchre. My GPA was so bad I refuse to acknowledge that I had one, which is unfortunately NOT that far from the truth.

11. I moved to Cincinnati in '93 and had to cut my hair for my first job at King's Island (yes the same place Mike Brady took the kids to deliver blueprints for a new roller coaster) as an attendant in the corn dog stand in front of the King Cobra. To this day I remember that 2 corn dog's and a Coke cost $5.25 in 1993. While working at this stand I met 2 of the best friends I have ever had, even if one of them hated me for the first 4 years of our relationship.

12. While stoned out of my mind one night in 1994 watching Simpson's reruns on Fox19, I decided to attend the Ohio Center for Broadcasting to train to become a real Disk Jockey! I graduated 9 months later.

13. My first radio job was at WKID 95.9 fm in lovely Vevay (pronounced Vee Vee) Indiana. I was the Maverick on the New Kid Country. If I had to pick one genre of music that I despise more than virtually anything, it would be country, this job didn't last too long.

14. I worked for Jacor Communications in Cincinnati for several of their stations. While at Jacor, I was able to get Channel 12 news personality Cammy Dierking to discuss in depth how asparagus changes the color and smell of her urine. Within 30 seconds of the end of the conversation, I had passed the tape along to the morning show at WEBN (local "shocking" rock station) and Cammy never spoke to me again... but I still have the tape.

15. Between June 1993 and August 2000, my hair was cut exactly 6 times. Five of those were only small trims to clear out any split ends. I still miss my long hair. Here is my hair in 1995:



16. I met my wife on October 12th, 1998. This is still the luckiest day of my life.

17. My kids are named for individuals who have had extreme importance in my life without realizing it. My daughter Megan is named in honor of one of my dearest friends from high school, Megan Beck, who was tragically taken far too early from this earth. My son Joseph Tyler is named after Joe Perry and Steven Tyler of Aerosmith. As lame as that may be, the music those two created has gotten me through almost every negative period of my life since 1987.

18. In keeping with the Aerosmith moment, I have seen them over 70 times since '87, going backstage 10 times. My 50th time seeing them was 10 years and 2 days after the 1st time in the same venue and sitting within 1 row of my first seats.

19. I'm totally addicted to my xbox (live id Armonde74) and have reached the point in my life where when given a choice between being intimate with my wife or playing another game of Call Of Duty 4, I struggle with the decision.

20. I started playing bass in 1987 because I wanted to sound like one of the greatest musicians of all time, Bootsy Collins. 15 years later, I met the great Bootzilla, when a friend of mine introduced us. Bootsy lives about 1/4 of a mile down the street from me now, but in a much nicer house.

21. I've been in 5 auto accidents in my life. Two were run of the mill "normal" accidents. The remaining three involved the following: Hitting a boat (yes, with a car), skidding through a farmer's front lawn at approximately 60 mph and hitting a telephone pole he had lined his driveway with (according to the farmer I had the 1988 Dodge Caravan at least 6 feet in the air upon impact), and catching a car on fire after running over a couch cushion.

23. I nickname my animals after items I could have purchased if I didn't have to spend extra vet money on them. My dog Jack is also known as "Laptop," Kirby is "Vacation," and the newest dog Ringo is "Carton."

24. Since 1997, I have only been drunk 5 times. Twice at weddings, twice in Cancun, once in Toledo where I ran around the parking lot of the Holiday Inn Express in Perrysburg at 2 am quacking like a duck.

25. Though I like to pretend to be miserable most of the time, I know that I'm surrounded by people who love and support me. While my life has not turned out how I imagined, I am lucky to be where I am and I really do appreciate it. (I know this is a cop out answer but it's now 3 hours on this damn quiz and I'm flat out of ideas... you try and do better.)

0 comments: