Monday, November 03, 2008

Cincinnati Obama Rally - Nov 2

For the first time this election season, I decided to attend a political rally. Typically I avoid them as I don't really see the purpose of surrounding myself with a bunch of people agreeing with me politically. Volunteering, canvassing, getting out there and spreading a message - those are activities that make sense to me.

That being said, given the proximity to election day and the record breaking crowds Barack has been drawing around the country, I decided to wrap the daughter up in some blue and drag her out for a night of political big wiggery.

We met some friends, MARC BERGMAN and Marc Ponnet, at their house around 5:30ish and drove down to the University of Cincinnati to find parking. Doors opened for the event at 6 but the event wasn't scheduled to start until 9, so we grabbed the slowest dinner in the history of the world at Buffalo Wild Wings on Clifton.

Around 7:30ish we wrapped up dinner and started heading down towards Nippert Stadium. At first, all looked well - there was a line to get in but it didn't look that bad... and then we turned the corner... and kept walking... and turned another corner... and kept walking... rinse and repeat several times. Here is a map of the total distance of the line we walked twice - once to get to the end of the line, the other to actually get in:



That's over 1 mile of line.

Some other friends had showed up early and secured some excellent seats 3 rows up from the field so Megan and I sat with them for the speech:



Megan had a great time with our friends Mike and Rachel:



The Cincinnati Enquirer writeup of the rally can be viewed here

All in all it was an amazing night and I'm glad I was able to share it with the only reason I really care about politics in the first place.

0 comments: