Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The feud continues

I had to fight the urge to type "fewd" there.

So after my marathon typing earlier today who knew that there would be an update to the story so soon? I won't lie, I expected one.

So my kids come home and they want to play outside. Since my wife was going out after work with some of her friends, I figured it would be OK for them to play while I made dinner and what not, so I reminded the kids not to go over to the fence, just stay by the swingset and play. Kids being kids, they weren't happy with that, especially since the grandkid was over next door, so I went outside and played some tee ball with them to keep them where they were supposed to be.

After about 30 minutes, we head back inside where I make some "good" mac and cheese for them and feed everybody up while we watch the Simpsons. After dinner they want to go back out. A quick look out back did not show any neighbor activity, so I sent them out while I intended to focus on the dishes. I start emptying the dishwasher and turn around just in time to see my 2 year old making a beeline for the fence screaming for Wifey. Wifey obliges and comes out and proceeds to give him a flower from their garden (a habit they were into long before this feud started). I immediately head outside as now that my daughter has seen floral gifts she wants one too. I get to the fence just in time to stop that transfer and calmly explain to Wifey that it doesn't work like that. She doesn't get to try and butter up my kids less than 24 hours after screaming at me in the front yard about how I killed their cat. I said that I knew she was only trying to be nice to my kids and I appreciated that effort but it was unacceptable and unwelcome, she was to have nothing to do with any member of my family. I was then told to "grow up, they're only children" to which I replied "I am grown up, I'm trying to protect my children from what I perceive to be your mistakes by allowing him to continue to live there. Please stay away from my children and I will make every effort to prevent them from bothering you as well." I think I hurt her feelings when I said that, but frankly I don't care anymore. I am tired of being accused of being the bad guy when all I was trying to do was be a good neighbor.

Lesson officially learned. Screw everyone except blood and proven friends. Trust noone and always assume they are out for personal gain exclusively. It's not a lesson I wanted to teach my kids, especially not so young, but I guess the earlier they start preparing for the "real" world, the better off they'll be in the long run. I can honestly say I didn't picture it going down like this, but whatcha gonna do?

0 comments: